Our Curriculum Statement
At Lea Valley Primary School we aim to provide a broad and balanced curriculum which enables all children to be confident, independent and inquisitive learners who develop a lifelong love of learning and an understanding of the world – past, present and future. We provide for high-quality learning through skilled explanation and modelling by teachers who have excellent subject and curriculum knowledge. Pedagogical expertise underpins teachers’ ability to build opportunities for children to deepen their understanding and the ability to recall what they have learnt in a sophisticated and meaningful way. Our curriculum is designed to inspire and engage.
Our curriculum is based on the existing National Curriculum and reflects a wide and varied learning experience which is enriched through creative contexts and our values-based learning community. We are committed to developing the whole child.
Our Curriculum is designed to narrow the gap for disadvantaged children. Our commitment to equity and social justice is the foundation of all that we do, and our curriculum is used as the vehicle for filling the gaps in knowledge and experiences that children may have. We view knowledge as a right. Equality of opportunity to a rich curriculum is key to enabling social engagement and lifelong success.
Lea Valley Primary School Curriculum enables all children to:
- Become enthusiastic and successful learners who love the challenge of learning, make progress and achieve their full potential
- Grow into confident individuals who can live safe, healthy and fulfilling lives
- Develop as responsible citizens who make a positive contribution to society
- Understand the value of learning and who continue that process through their lives
- Apply knowledge in varying contexts
- Develop a broad, meaningful vocabulary with conceptual understanding
- Develop into enthusiastic and successful learners who love the challenge of learning and are resilient to failure.
- Develop into curious, interested learners who seek out and use new information to develop, consolidate and deepen their knowledge understanding and skills
- Develop into confident learners who make effective progress and achieve their full potential in a wide range of subjects
For Early Years phonics we follow the Read Write Inc. programme to provide a creative and cohesive approach to teaching children to read and write.
In KS1+2 we follow the Oxford Reading Tree, the UK’s number one reading programme. It has inspired a love of reading in over 30 million children worldwide. With its well-loved characters, fine levelling and unrivalled support, Oxford Reading Tree helps your children to become confident readers.
- Rigorous synthetic phonics teaching gives children a secure first step on their reading journey
- Over 800 books provide a rich and varied choice of writing styles, genres and artwork styles at every level
Children focus on different genres of writing.
From September 2017 we will be using Inspire Maths.
Inspire Maths is a whole-school primary maths programme that provides everything you need to support a mastery approach to mathematics and meet the higher expectations of the National Curriculum.
- Based on the Singapore Maths series My Pals are Here!, used in almost 100% of Singapore’s state primary schools.
- A high-quality textbook programme that helps children to develop mastery and become confident mathematicians.
- Works alongside Inspire Maths Online to give you essential assessment and National Curriculum support
For more detailed information on Inspire Maths please read this essential guide.
From September 2019 we have been using a ‘hands on’ approach for our science lessons.
We embrace a hands on learning experience delivered through a range of fully demonstrated practical experiments. These are designed to develop learners’ understanding through a variance theory approach, enabling learners to explore each concept taught through a number of ways.
These practical experiments and quizzes, relating science facts and scientific principles to real life, ensure every learner has access to outstanding lesson content, fully mapped against the National Curriculum.
For more information on the curriculum please contact SLT at email@example.com